Stan VanDerBeek - didn't know of this guy, now I'm glad I do. His pioneering work in computer animation is incredible, and stands up well by today's standards. Perhaps that is do to a resurging interest in retro-graphics, but I think it would hold up regardless.
You can see his stuff on YouTube, or schools can order it from aei.org. I'll put some pressure on the powers that be to get his work in the DADA library. I'd love to see it again. There's a groovy documentary shot in 1972 on his work with an early digital tablet, so worth seeing. You can catch it on youtube as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg_DowyLuT8
I don't know if or how his stuff will influence my future work, but I'm pleased to have someone else to add to my list of idols.
This particular piece reminds me of a really sophisticated animated light bright. Pondering the possibility of producing an interactive piece that could perhaps place a virtual light bright into the public, and engage the populous to spend a few minutes drawing or changing the existing drawing on the "Light Bright" then either putting all the creations into a timeline, or in betweening the images for projection/ web video...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment